Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Babies on TV

Well, Im officially on my second week back at work.  This week hasn't been as rough as last week, but then again Im only 2 days into the work week so I reserve the right to change my mind.  I haven't had to actually work with pregnant people yet though, so that might have something to do with it.  A lot of people have said that its nice to see me back or that they have missed me...the truth is, every time I hear that I can't help but think that the last time I saw that person my baby was alive inside of me.  I try to push that thought out of my head and some times Im more effective at that than others.  Today I got a sympathy card from a co-worker....I even managed to read it without breaking down in tears.  I mean thats gotta count for something, right???

While my work life slowly starts to go back to "normal" our home life does too.  We've been putting off the spring premiers on a few TV shows because they have to do with babies, episodes of Bones and The Secret Lift of the American Teenager have been piling up in the DVR que.  So yesterday we decided to watch Bones.  Now for those of you who don't watch the show the two main characters are expecting a baby (their first) and she was due any time.  Well, during the show they went back and forth between having the baby in a hospital and at home...they even visited a labor and delivery ward to check it out.  It struck me that we never even got to take our tour...something we'd been planning since we first got pregnant.  They talked about nursing classes...something we never got to do either.  And then there was the delivery...they were so happy.  I just kept thinking thats how its supposed to be.  After the show was over my husband said, "Wow, you did good there."  Then he looked at me and saw that I was sobbing....

Then we have Glee.  While that show isn't one that would normally cause grief to a husband and wife in out situation last week's episode hit home.  One of the main characters had under gone IVF (she is single and had her eggs frozen when she was younger) and is pregnant.  She went in for an ultrasound to find out the sex of the baby.  After the ultrasound the doctor walked in to the room and the lady was so excited to find out if it was a boy or a girl I don't think the possibility ever occurred to her that something could be wrong with the baby.  Frankly, I don't think many people even think about this.  But the doctor on TV was perfect for the part as it was exactly the way I remember it...just the look on the actor doctors face said it all, "There is something wrong with your baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment