Thursday, March 29, 2012

The View from the top..

"Ok, its not really the top so much as the view from the upstairs bathroom window at my parents house but still....

I remember a time many years ago when my best friend and I (Alyssa, the doctor friend previously mentioned) were at my parents house (I think we were 18 and in our senior year of high school).  We were sitting in my room talking about our up coming tests and boys.  She had some crazy math test in a few days that she was stressing out over and I was upset cuz Id just had, yet another, fight with my boyfriend.  We talked for hours about how we couldn't wait to grow up because then our lives would be simpler with no where near the problems we were currently facing.  Wow were we WRONG!!!

We went into the upstairs bathroom at my parents house, took out the screen, and went and sat on the roof to smoke (because clearly my parents had NO idea what we were doing).  We talked for a long time about our dreams that day.  She wanted to be a doctor and, though I had no idea what I wanted to be, I knew I wanted to be married to a wonderful man with a few kids.  I just kept thinking that, at that moment, if we could know how things would all work out that it would be ok and we would make it happily through our senior year.

I remember the two of us talking about the view from my parents roof.  How the grey squirrel and the black squirrel were chasing each other.  How the tall trees just seemed to go high into the sky.  How my one neighbor had a trampoline that we wanted to jump on.  How there were way too many leaves that had fallen and that my parents really needed to hire a company to rake them up cuz there was no way in the world Id be picking them up.....

Well, I was at my parents house today to drop off a fabulous meal that I had made the day before and I wanted my parents to try it out.  While I was there I had to use the bathroom.  So I went upstairs and did my business.  Before I left I stood at the window and looked out....the view hadn't changed much over the years.  The houses looked the same.  The trees looked the same.  Yea, the neighbors trampoline was still there too (though now Id fear jumping on it for I don't want to break a leg).  I just couldn't help but think that while the view was the same so many things had changed for us.  Alyssa is a doctor now and Im married to the man of my dreams.....but we are not the same people we were back then.  And the problems then that seemed so large now seemed pretty small...


"Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced."

No comments:

Post a Comment