Monday, December 17, 2012

We are all Newtown CT....

Im not going to turn this into a political debate, I dont think now is the time nor do I think my blog is the place for politics (even though I am very politically involved), but I just wanted to say a few words on the tragedy that occurred on Friday in Newtown CT.

I think from the moment a parent gets the positive pregnancy test they begin to dream about their child...what the child will look like, what will their voice sound like, what type of personality they will have.  They also make plans for their child's future...even though there is no guarantee that the future will ever come to be.  Sometimes those futures are taken away in the blink of an eye and you find yourself completly in shock.

I remember the sound of my sobs when I was told Bristol was gone.  And I think that only a mother (no offense dads) can understand those cries...how they come from deep inside your body and you just cannot control them.  I was getting ready for work a few weeks ago when DH was watching TV in the bedroom....he was watching an episode of Rescue Me (I know its just a TV show but work with me on this one) and though I had no idea what was going on, when one of the ladies started sobbing I could tell that she had just lost her baby.  I asked DH what was going on and he said that she had just lost her son.

And then you have the grieving process....its a process.  You will never get past it and the pain will never go away, you just learn to make room for the pain as it becomes part of who you are.  You don't let it control you nor does it define you, but it is always there.

I wish there were some magic words that could take these families pain away, but they have to go through it...

Tonight when I go to sleep I will hold DH a little bit closer knowing that all we really have is today!!!

A prayer for the grieving....

Father, I pray for the town of Newtown CT and others in my circle of family and friends who are grieving...

They're hurting for many reasons, and I ask You to help them through this season of loss. I reach out to You, the Father of compassion and the Source of every comfort, asking You to touch them with Your unfailing love and kindness. Be their God who comforts them as they're going through their struggles, and bring them through the tough things ahead. Come alongside them in their pain, and strengthen them so they'll one day be able to help others who face the same struggles. (2 Corinthians 1:3–4; Psalm 33:22; 1 Samuel 20:14a)

You're close to people whose hearts are breaking, those who are discouraged and have given up hope. May You who see their troubles and grief respond when they cry out. (Psalm 34:18; 10:14a, 17)

When they're hurting, help them find their joy in You, for it's Your joy that will be their strength. Help them to trust You as their God of hope. Fill them with Your joy, peace, and hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Help them experience the love, joy, and peace that are the results of His life in them, no matter what they're going through. (Nehemiah 8:10b; Romans 15:13; Galatians 5:22)

May they sense Your presence in this hour of need. In Jesus' name, Amen.


**I am in no way trying to compare my loss to the losses these families face, I just want to offer my thoughts and prayers to victims and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment